Instagram Captions for Ecommerce
Instagram Captions for Ecommerce
Danny Shepherd, CO-CEO • Intero Digital • June 29, 2018
Instagram ecommerce strategy is crucial for business success on social media. According to recent statistics, over 1 billion people log into Instagram every month. A closer look reveals that 67% percent of adults between the age of 18 and 29 use the app. Out of those users, 80% follow at least one business account. There’s no question, when it comes to choosing a platform to support your marketing approach, Instagram should sit near the top of the list.
A reason people gravitate toward Instagram is the app’s focus on visual content. People love pictures. But from a marketing approach, it’s not enough to just throw a picture up and be done. Captions are an important component of attracting a user’s attention and getting them to engage with social media ecommerce.
If you’re not using Instagram for ecommerce, you’re missing out on a large market pool. It’s not enough just to be on Instagram as an ecommerce business. It is equally as important to understand how Instagram’s algorithm works. Instagram has created an algorithm so users see posts they want to see first. As an ecommerce business on social media, you can harness this algorithm to make sure you are reaching your target audience. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
“Intero Digital used their technology along with their advanced digital marketing strategies to create campaigns to help boost our most important markets.”
Sr. Digital Marketing Manager, Travel Company
“We did our research and talked to several agencies. We chose to work with Intero Digital because of their team, experience and technology.”
CMO, eCommerce Powersports Company
- Interaction matters: A like, a comment, a tag – these things all mean that the consumer likes your content. Just like standard SEO, Instagram’s ecommerce algorithm will see the posts with more interaction as being more relevant, and therefore bump them up to the top of the feed.
- The user’s interests matter: Instagram pays attention to what users like. If a user spends a lot of time looking at shoes, other shoe posts are more likely to make it to their feed. It’s important to stand out, but you don’t want to do so to the point where Instagram doesn’t see you as a similar product.
- Frequency is still important: You can’t just post once a month – you’ll never show up on a user’s feed. While Instagram no longer uses a chronological feed, timeliness still factors into the algorithm.
What makes a good caption?
Getting your customers to engage, through Instagram, with your ecommerce posts is the number one priority. But doing so in a blatant sales-pitch way is likely to get potential customers to scroll right past your photo for someone more authentic. So how do you stand out?
- Tell a story: People connect through stories. Discuss the process of your recent design. Share the story about how it all began. People love to hear the backstory and feel like an insider.
- Ask a question: Instagram users love to share information about themselves. Ask them a question. Bonus points for choosing a question that will give you important information that you can use in your marketing campaign.
- Create a call to action: Ask your readers to tell a story. Have them tag a friend. When readers engage, you’re more likely to show up on their feed.
Intero Digital is a company that understands the power of social engagement, especially when it comes to Instagram ecommerce. After all, the word “social” is in our name. But understanding the ever-changing world of social media can be tricky. With over 20 years of experience in SEO, SEM, and social media, our team can harness the benefits of social media for your business. To learn more and get a free quote, contact Intero Digital today.